Rachelle is an Australian NHMRC Senior Principal Research Fellow, rheumatologist and clinical epidemiologist. She is the Director of the Monash Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Cabrini Institute and Professor in the Monash University Department of Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine. Other roles include Joint Coordinating Editor of Cochrane Musculoskeletal and founding member and Chair, Executive Committee for the Australia and New Zealand Musculoskeletal (ANZMUSC) Clinical Trial Network. Her academic research is published regularly in the top-tier general medicine journals, such as the NEJM, Lancet, JAMA, Ann Intern Med, and the BMJ and she is widely considered to be one of the pioneers of placebo-surgical trials in medicine.
Selected recent representative publications:
- Maher C, Underwood M, Buchbinder R. Non-specific low back pain. Lancet. 2017:389:736-47.
- Buchbinder R, Harris I, Sprowson A. Practice Pointer: Management of degenerative meniscal tears and the role of surgery. BMJ. 2015;350:h2212.
- Buchbinder R, Maher C, Harris I. Setting the research agenda for improving health care for musculoskeletal disorders. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2015; 1(10):597-605.
- Bennell KL, Egerton T, Martin J, Abbott JH, Metcalf B, McManus F, Sims K, Pua YH, Wrigley TV, Forbes A, Smith C, Harris A, Buchbinder R. Effect of physical therapy on pain and function in patients with hip osteoarthritis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014 21;311:1987-97.
- Kroon F, Staples M, Ebeling PR, Wark JD, Osborne RH, Mitchell PJ, Wriedt CH, Buchbinder R. Two-year results of a randomized placebo-controlled trial of vertebroplasty for acute osteoporotic vertebral fractures. J Bone Miner Res 2014;29(6):1346-55.
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR, Wark JD, Mitchell P, Wriedt C, Graves S, Staples MP, Murphy B. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(6):557-68.